Friday, May 18, 2012

trusting

One small step for girl....


Hello. :) How are you? How was your day? Did you struggle with trusting God today? If you're anything like me, you did. But today, with God's help, I took a small step in the direction of trust.

This morning I woke up a few minutes before noon. Groan... I set my alarm for 8:30... I don't even remember turning it off... wait.. yes I do. Sigh. I missed half the day.

Pause. So it's a beautiful day, the second of my offically started summer (!!) - and I'm already discontented and distrusting God. In my head I grumbled, Thanks a lot, God.

Then I remembered I was babysitting for one of my professor's kiddos later that afternoon, something that I was strangely anxious about. Greeeaat. Now I have no time to deal with my anxiety. I wanted to really use this day well. Sigh.

About 40 minutes before I had to leave to babysit, the Spirit got a hold of me.  I sat down with my Bible and journal and asked God to help me trust Him, and to help me be a good babysitter to these kids and a good witness to the family, and for the kids to like me!  I had read Psalm 16, where this confident assertion of David is found:

"I have set the LORD always before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken."
(vs. 8)

Now, I'm not going to pretend like I read this verse and my heart was dramatically changed. I was still a little nervous.  But I had asked for God's help, and felt a little better.  I left to go babysit.

God is faithful. God is faithful. God is faithful.

... In case you were wondering, babysitting went WONDERFULLY.  The things I was nervous about ran smoothly, and, as I was putting the oldest to bed (for whom I had babysat once before), I had to gently pry myself from her sweet hug as she said to me, "You're awesome," and "I don't want you to leave."

God is faithful. God is faithful. God is FAITHFUL.

Why do I ever doubt that?

So, tonight, reader of this blog, I humbly encourage you to trust your Savior.  And don't be afraid or even the slightest bit hesitant to ask for God's help in trusting Him.  He wants to help you! If I hadn't sat down and asked God for help, I think the rest of my day would have gone differently. At the very least, I wouldn't have been as quick to say, "Look, my God came through for me today. I asked for His help, and He gave it. God is faithful! Praise You, God!" If it had gone well without my asking for help, I might have drawn a different conclusion, perhaps one that sounded like, "Aren't I great? I was such a good sitter to those kids. Go me."

God wants you to ask for His help because it makes you remember your need for Him and puts His faithfulness on display.

Give God a chance to display His faithfulness to you.  He won't let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

peace for this night

I really do believe that no matter who is elected President tomorrow, God is still King and still good. I really do believe that no matt...